The 6 Best Quiet Generators in 2022-2023
19 Min Read
- 1. WEN 56235i Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
- 2. WEN 56203i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- 3. Honda EU2200i quiet generator
- 4. Westinghouse iGen2200 Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
- 5. Champion Power Equipment 76533 Quiet Generator
- 6. Westinghouse WGen5300s Storm Portable Generator with Electric Start
- Faqs About Quiet Generators
- Things to Consider When Buying a Quiet Generator
A quiet generator is the perfect companion in your home, offering ample power without disturbing others with loud noises. One of the disadvantages of running a generator is the noise. Noise can be a huge factor when choosing to use a generator in a neighborhood. No one desires the noisy neighbor with an annoying generator ruining everyone’s peace and quiet. The good thing is that there is a solution - silent generators.
Although the term noise is relative, a generator is quiet when it has a noise level that does not exceed 60 decibels when running at 25% load. Typically, a conversation between two people is estimated at 60 dB.
In addition, these quiet generators will not keep you up at night and are ideal for tailgating and camping. Whatever you are looking for, we have the ultimate silent power generators for your perusal.
The Best 5 Quiet Generators Of 2022 - 2023
Weighing in at only 39 pounds, the WEN portable inverter is the best small portable generator on our list. It’s a great generator for camping, tailgating, and when preparing for natural disasters. It is made of a durable all-purpose 79cc OHV engine, the kind commonly used in water pumps, tillers, blowers, vacuums, and generators. Another great thing about the engine is it reduces CO emissions by separating oil from fuel. It also makes the generator more efficient and reliable to use.
A key factor that makes it better than the Honda EU2200i is its 1900 watts running wattage and 2350 watts surge power. We also love that it has a 1-gallon tank and that its fuel economy engine makes it last longer. With its clean power, you can charge all your sensitive electronic devices without worries about surge damage. Like the EU2200i, this generator also has a fuel shut-off valve to help prevent stale oil issues and prevent blockages.
Eco mode helps save gasoline usage by automatically adjusting fuel consumption. It also improves device run time and extends the life of your engine. Parallel connection is also possible with this generator if you’re looking for an additional power source within your comfort. Its runtime is up to 10 hours on quarter load.
It works quietly, creating no more than 51 decibels of noise, which is less than the sound of an electric fan. The product includes outlets like two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC receptacle, and two 5V USB ports.
The WEN 56235i is CARB and EPA compliant. It is safe to use outdoors and also comes with a spark arrestor for added safety.
The WEN 56235i includes automatic shutdown for low-oil and low-fuel levels, indicator lights, and built-in overload protection. It also has a circuit breaker system to protect from overloading and short circuits.
- Runs quietly
- Low-oil shut off
- Low-fuel shut off
- Eco-mode feature
- Low maintenance
- Clean energy
- 24-month warranty
- No load or hour meter
- No fuel gauge
- Manual recoil start
2. WEN 56203i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
The WEN 2000-watt is a more compact version than the previously reviewed model. Like the 3800-watt inverter generator from WEN, it offers clean energy void of voltage spikes and drops without routing your neighbors from sleep. This generator offers less wattage at only 1700 running watts and 2000 peak watts of power, thus producing less noise too. Producing only 51 decibels at 25% load, this generator is just as noisy as a quiet suburb and quieter than a normal conversation. This prevents invasiveness when restoring backup power, hunting, tailgating and camping.
Its 79cc OHV engine operates this lightweight and compact generator. Weighing only 39 pounds, this portable generator is easy to transport. The generator is equipped with fuel shutoff to switch off the fuel for the safety of the device and durability. Its 1.2% THD ensures that your vulnerable devices are protected while an eco-mode switch maximizes on fuel economy preventing the unnecessary usage of gasoline by automatically adjusting its fuel consumption as needed.
The WEN 2000-watt inverter generator has a 1-gallon tank provides over 7 hours at half load. Other features include a fully-packed panel, built-in overload protection, low oil and low-fuel automatic shutdown, and indicator lights. This inverter is backed by a 2-year warranty.
- 1-gallon tank
- Fuel shut off, low oil and low-fuel automatic shutdown, indicator lights and built-in overload protection
- 79cc OHV engine
- 1.2 THD
- Eco mode switch
- 79cc OHV engine
- 51dB at 25% load
- Product Dimensions: 17.3” x 11.5” x 17.7”
- Lightweight design at 39 pounds for easy storage and transportation
- Extremely quiet operation that is less than a normal conversation
- Clean power for sensitive devices at 1.2% THD
- Fuel shut off feature
- Eco mode switch allows for efficiency
- With its compact size, it can provide power for 7 hours at half load and 10.8 hours at quarter load
- The unit does not come with parallel wires. This is an additional expense should you want load sharing
- Underpowered when compared to other inverter generators
3. Honda EU2200i quiet generator
The most reviewed and loved of all quiet generators is the Honda EU2200i inverter generator. At only 48-57 dB, this is the ideal super quiet generator for home, work or play. Powered by the 122cc Honda GXR120 that is exceptionally smooth, quiet and efficient, this generator can power many appliances at home including the microwave, TV/DVD, hair dryer, freezer/fridge, portable fan and coffee maker. Honda, further, features inverter technology for stable and clean power that is just as reliable as power from outlets in the house. Thanks to this and its lightweight design at only 47 pounds, the EU2200i is easy to transport and store.
The generator is made for easy starting with its automatic mechanical decompressor system. This way, a user does not need to use force to start the engine. Besides the fuel shut off feature included in most portable generators, this model has a CO-MINDER feature to monitor the carbon monoxide levels and shuts automatically when it detects dangerously high CO levels.
The unique feature in this silent generator is the exclusive My Generator smartphone app that monitors the generator remotely. It has service reminders, wireless stop and operation monitoring with Bluetooth connectivity.
- 2200 watts
- 120 volts
- 0.95 gallons
- Ideal for lightweight use – can power DVD, TV, Fridge, Satellite, Coffee Pot and more
- Ultra quiet and compact
- Stable power – inverter
- Honda My Generator app + Bluetooth capability
- CO-MINDER™ to monitor carbon monoxide (CO) levels
- Fuel shut off
- Oil alert, spark arrester and electric circuit breaker
- 3-year residential and commercial warranty
- Operating at 48 to 57 dB, this is a quiet generator for use at campgrounds, tailgating and any other setting requiring quietness
- Features an exclusive Eco-Throttle System for efficiency
- It can run 9.6 hours on a single tank at 25% load
- Honda’s inverter technology offers clean and stable power for use by a wide range of appliances in the home
- CO-MINDER™ to monitor carbon monoxide (CO) levels near the generator, shutting off when it notices the emission of dangerously high levels
- Fuel shut off for maintenance and durability
- It has a longer spout, bigger oil filler opening and a larger oil drain gutter for ease when make cleaner oil changes
- Spark arrestor or muffler which meets USDA standards
- Electronic circuit breaker to protect this Honda engine from an overload
- Oil alert that protects the engine when low oil is detected
- Warranty may not be useful if technicians are not helpful
- You may need to do oil changes after one and two hours when breaking it in.
4. Westinghouse iGen2200 Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is a top quality inverter generator that produces 2,200 watts at its peak and 1800 running watts. This makes it ideal for emergencies at the house and recreational use. It can power most medium duty appliances and other devices that you need while on the go.
Running on a powerful 4-Stroke OHV Westinghouse engine, the iGen2200 is created to adjust its speeds automatically thereby providing only the power required for better efficiency. The device is convenient, compact and lightweight, weighing only 46 pounds, with a carry handle for portability. For areas where noise is a concern, this ultra-quiet generator is community friendly as it only emits 52 dB (less than a normal conversation). Further, it has stable power at less than 3% THD making it ideal for use where one would want to power sensitive gadgets like phones, laptops and tablets.
Should you require more power, you can pair this generator with another similar type using a Westinghouse WHPC Parallel Cord. The generator is packed with safety features for durability, easy maintenance and protection that include overload protection and low oil shutdown. A 3 year limited warranty is provided upon purchase.
- 1800 Rated Watts and 2200 Peak Watts
- Gas powered
- Two 120V 20 Amp Outlets, Two USB Outlets
- 12 hour run time on 1.2 gallon gas tank
- Parallel capable
- EPA and CARB Compliant
- Size: 19.8 x 11.4 x 17.9 inches
- 3 year warranty
- Quiet operation at 52dB
- Clean and stable power at only Less Than 3% THD
- Extremely lightweight at only 46 pounds
- It features an economy mode for better fuel efficiency
- Easily portable due to its compact size and a built-in suitcase style handle. Also makes it easy to store.
- Features a powerful engine with a durable cast iron sleeve and automatic low oil shutdown
- While it is parallel capable, the kit does not include the code
- It is good to note that the company tests each product individually at the factory before sale so there may be residual oil and the smell of gas
- This machine may rev from time to time
5. Champion Power Equipment 76533 Quiet Generator
This is a dual fuel inverter generator from Champion with the ability to start with either gas or propane. On gasoline, the generator will produce 4750 starting watts while running at 3800 watts. On propane, it starts with 4275 watts and runs at 3420 watts. This cost-effective and convenient solution comes with a Touch Start that includes an internal battery charger to charge the battery as the generator runs.
The portable Champion generator emits noise at 68dB from 23 feet. It can run on propane for 10.5 hours and 9 hours on gasoline at 50%. Since propane has a long shelf life, you do not need to worry about having gasoline at hand. Safety features on this model include the Volt Guard, which protects appliances from spikes, Cold Start technology to allow easy start in cold weather and Fuel Selector switch to switch between the two fuel sources safely and quickly. With never-flat tires and a durable steel frame with a folding handle, this generator is portable. The 3800-watt Champion generator uses its 224cc Champion single-cylinder OHV engine to power its operation with a 3.4-gallon fuel tank.
- 224cc Champion single-cylinder OHV engine
- 3.4 gallon tank
- 120V 30A locking (L5-30R) , 120V 30A RV (TT-30R) and two 120V 20A household outlets (5-20R).
- Volt guard
- Automatic low oil shut-off sensor
- Cold start technology
- Fuel start to choose fuel
- 3 year warranty
- 50-state/CARB compliant
- Dual fuel to operate the generator on either gasoline or propane; includes a low oil shut off feature
- Electric start included to ease powering up the generator
- Has Intelligauge to keep track of hertz, voltage and run-time hours for power output and maintenance intervals
- Quiet operation at 6.8 dB for its size
- Travel ready with standard 30A RV outlet
- Features safety fuel selector switch
- Included in the purchase is a propane hose
- You can monitor power output as the Intelligense display does not show the watts or amps
- You must shut off the fuel for the unit to shut down
- The oil drain is located right over a lower frame support and the oil filler is way below the battery
6. Westinghouse WGen5300s Storm Portable Generator with Electric Start
The WGen5300s was made with versatility and dependability in mind as it produces 6600 peak watts and 5300 running watts to power your appliances and home. At 133.2lb, this is not exactly a small unit but it certainly built for its power. Housing a 4.7 gallon tank of gas and a powerful 274cc 4-Stroke OHV Westinghouse Engine, this generator can run 13.5 hours. Also included are a built-in fuel gauge, low oil shutdown and an electric start with manual choke.
The WGen5300s is RV ready with its TT-30R 30A 120V outlet to aid a camper or trailer traveler to run with a single cord hookup.
Designed for durability, this generator has a compact hardened steel frame with never-flat wheels to ease storage and transportation. The silent inverter comes with a 3-year warranty with nationwide customer service and Lifetime technical support for parts.
- 5300 watts; 6600 watts
- 68 dB noise level
- 274cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine
- One RV-Ready TT-30R 30 Amp Receptacle, One 5–20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle, and One Transfer Switch Ready L14-30R 30 Amp Receptacle
- Electric start
- Automatic Low Oil Shutdown
- 4.7-gallon fuel tank
- 13.5 hours run time with 120/240 V Voltage selector switch
- EPA and CARB Compliant
- 3-Year Limited Service
- Runs for 133.5 hours on a 4.7 gallon which makes it a great source of power
- For such a powerhouse, it is not very noisy at 68dB
- A 274cc 4-stroke OHV Westinghouse engine made with a durable cast iron sleeve powers the generator
- Comes with an electric start for seamless ignition and backup emergency recoil start
- Features a VFT display to show real time updates with frequency, voltage output and lifetime hours
- Has a 120/240 volt selector switch
- When using various appliances, the frequency fluctuates such that one may go on while another goes off until the batteries drain
- The display does not show the wattage in use to prevent overload
Faqs About Quiet Generators
How quiet are silent generators?
Quiet or silent generators are inverter generators that operate at less than 60dB. This is the equivalent of a normal conversation at 22 feet.
Can I make my generator silent?
Generally, using a muffler or generator silencer is a practical way to silence a generator. You could also try installing rubber feet, grounding on a soft surface, keeping the generator away, using a sound deflector or setting the exhaust pipe vertical.
Alternatively, purchase a silent generator. This way you get to cut on costs and the additional worries on installation. If you are worried about increasing power, connect two parallel compatible silent generators.
Is it possible to power a whole house in an emergency using a quiet generator?
Unfortunately, this is not possible. The typical wattage on most quiet generators does not exceed 4000 watts, which cannot power a whole house. While this is so, you might also not need to power all your appliances at the same time. In an emergency, you only need to power essential appliances like the fridge, which the silent generator can do.
Is there any need to ground my silent generator?
If you want to have peace of mind, it is advisable to ground your generator. This is not a requirement with modern inverter generators, and many use them without grounding.
In what situations is it necessary to have a quiet generator?
Noise regulations. Your city or homeowners association may have laws on noise limit for members to abide by. The rule of thumb is that anything above 75 decibels is too much. Campsites and RV parks are certainly stricter on noise levels and will not allow anything above 65dB.
Things to Consider When Buying a Quiet Generator
There are important factors to consider before purchasing a quiet generator. Depending largely on the setting you want to use your silent inverter, you will have to consider the noise levels on your preferred generator.
What is you priority between power and noise levels?
The fact is that most quiet generators have less power compared to their noisier counterparts. Balance between the best power source with the highest level of decibels allowed to work out a solution that works for you and your neighbors.
If a generator uses too much fuel, it would be prudent to get another unit. It is expensive and troublesome to carry extra gas. A super quiet model will have superior features to make it adjust its fuel consumption to the current needs.
Are the portable silent generators suitable for indoor use?
No, portable generators should not be used indoors due to their risk. The potentially dangerous fumes from these generators are harmful when inhaled. Because modern inverter generators have clean energy, most assume that they are safe for indoor use, which is untrue.
Clean in this sense refers to the Total Harmonic Distortion or THD, which refers to how safe they are when powering sensitive items such as phones and laptops. You could inhale dangerous fumes when locked without ventilation with a generator. This is not a concern outside where the fumes escape to the air. If you need a portable generator to use indoors, try a solar generator that is 100% clean.
We have compiled a list of the best quiet generators whenever quieter is better. Enjoy the sound of nature and your conversations as opposed to the sound of your generator without compromising on performance. We hope you get the perfect choice for your needs.