7 Best Dual Fuel Generators [2022 Edition]
23 Min Read
- 1. Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- 2. Champion 7500-Watt Dual Fuel Generator
- 3. WEN DF475T Dual Fuel Generator
- 4. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Generator
- 5. DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- 6. DuroMax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Powered Portable Generator
- 7. WEN DF475T Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- Faqs About Dual Fuel Generators
Dual fuel generators, as their name would suggest, are generators that use two fuel sources to produce energy. Often, these portable generators use propane and gasoline to convert the mechanical energy made by burning fuels to generate electricity.
Dual fuel generators give you versatility as you have the power to choose your fuel sources based on power output requirements, fuel availability, noise requirements just to mention a few. These generators come in a wide range of capabilities and sizes to suit varying needs. If you want to purchase a dual fuel generator, it is best that you understand your needs first to get one that matches your power output needs, price and style.
A dual fuel generator is bound to give you the peace of mind you need regardless of the situation out there. Natural disasters are notorious for disrupting gasoline supply and depending on one source of fuel can have you stranded when you are limited to have what you have at home. Propane stores indefinitely making dual fuel generators reliable, as they are functional.
Therefore which dual fuel generator is the best in the market you ask? Read on for the top 5 dual fuel generators in the market today.
The Best 7 Dual Fuel Generators Of 2022
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF generator operates on both propane and gasoline to produce up to 9500 running watts and 12500 peak watts. Its powerful 457cc 4-stroke OHV engine is designed with a durable cast iron sleeve to run up to 12 hours on a 6.6 gallon gas tank keeping you powered all day. This heavy-duty engine features an automatic low oil shutdown, built-in fuel gauge and GFCI outlets.
To make it easy to start the WGen9500DF dual fuel generator, a push button electric start does all the hard work for you while a remote start key fob allows you to do so from a distance. You can power all your desired appliances using a single cord hookup using the 14-50R on the control panel as well as transfer switch ready L14-30R.
Keep updated with important information on the VFT Data Center that displays frequency, volt output and lifetime hours. Featuring a set of heavy-duty wheels, lift bracket and handle, this generator is portable so you can transport it wherever you need it. Read more user reviews at Amazon.
- Propane and gasoline
- 12500 surge watts, 9500 running watts
- 457cc 4-stroke OHV engine
- 12 hours
- 6.6 gallon gas tank
- Low oil shutdown
- Fuel gauge
- GFCI outlets
- Push button electric start
- Portable- never-flat wheels, lift bracket and handle included
- VFT data center
- 3 year limited warranty
- Heavy-duty engine with durable build
- Easy to transport
- Plug and play – it is easy to set up
- ‘On the Fly!’ Fuel Change to easily switch fuels
- Transfer Switch Ready
- VFT Data Center to provide updates for easy running and maintenance
- 3-year warranty backs up the product
- EPA and CARB Compliant
- High power output for 12 hours
- The BTU output of LPG or propane is 4/5th of the gasoline so if you need high power for propane, you might consider a bigger generator
- Frequency does not fluctuate to the point that appliances will go on and off when the batteries are full
This is another powerful addition by Champion featuring the dual fuel feature. The 7500-watt generator has a 439cc engine to provide 10 hours running time on gasoline and 5.5 hours on propane. Made to start with ease, the Champion Power Equipment 100891features an electric start with Cold Start technology ensuring quick start in cold weather. It also features Intelligauge to monitor power output and scheduled maintenance conveniently, and a Volt Guard for protection from electrical voltage spikes.
Its low oil shut off sensor for safety. You can also easily switch between fuels using the patented fuel selector switch. The generator provides 7500 running watts and 9375 peak watts with the 7.7-gallon tank full of gasoline to run for 10 hours at half load. At half load on the 20-pound propane tank, the Champion dual fuel generator will run for 5.5 hours producing 6750 running watts and 8400 peak watts.
Also included is a 6-foot propane hose with a regulator. Storage and transportation is also easy as the generator features a foldaway U-shaped handle and never-flat tires in the wheel kit. Read more user reviews at Amazon.
- 7500-Watt, 439cc Engine
- 7.7 Gallon Gasoline Tank, 20 Pound Propane Tank
- Patented Fuel Selector Switch
- Low Oil Shut Off Feature
- Volt Guard
- Electric Start
- Cold Start Technology
- Features Intelligauge
- Portable - Foldaway U-Shaped Handle and Never-Flat Tires In The Wheel Kit
- EPA Certified And Carb Compliant
- 3-Year Limited Warranty
- Plenty of safety features included
- Electric start and Cold start technology make it easy to start the engine even in cold weather
- Intelligauge to monitor power output and scheduled maintenance
- Powerful with surge protector to prevent overloads
- Easy transportation and storage
- While it claims to be 74dB, it definitely is louder than that
- Needs plenty of maintenance to run effectively
- The photos give an illusion that it is friendly for a handicapped or old person. In reality, the low oil sensor is on the factory proof run while oil fill cap is way under the control panel with only a few inches of ground clearance. Being a heavy machine, it is also impossible to lift onto a workbench without extra help
During a crisis, the perfect companion is a generator that can run on either gasoline or propane. With a powerful 240 colts and 224cc engine, this EPA and CARB certified generator offers great power in an emergency. This is the WEN 4750-Watt dual fuel generator with an electric start that makes starting the generator a breeze. Propane offers the generator 3500 running watts and 4350 peak watts, while gasoline offers 3800 running watts and 4750 peak watts. There is a handy panel with several outlets and a voltage selector to switch between 240v and 120v protecting the device from overloads.
The generator comes with a wheel kit and handle to aid in transportation from one place to another and easy storage. Included in the set is a 47-inchpropane hose for seamless connection with LPG tanks. It takes up to 4 gallons for the gasoline tank, which then runs for 11 hours at 50% load. This product is backed by a 2-year warranty. Read more user reviews at Amazon.
- One NEMA 30A twist lock (L14-30R), Two 120V GFCI outlets (5-20R), a 12V DC cigarette-lighter-style plug
- 224cc air cooled OHV Engine
- 4-gallon fuel tank
- 47-inch propane hose
- Electric start system
- Voltage selector
- Wheel kit and handle
- Regulator and Overload Protection
- Easy to switch between gasoline with 3800 running watts and propane with 3500 running watts with the selection dial
- Easy to transfer switches and emergency backup with the voltage going from 120V to 240V
- Start the engine with ease using the electric start
- 4 gallon gasoline tank that can provide power for over 11 hours at half load
- A powerful 224cc engine
- Never flat tires and handles for easy transportation and storage
- The manual states that the unit should be grounded yet this type off generator does not require grounding according to OSHA.
- Assembling the unit can be task as the screws, bolts and other items are referenced in part numbers in the company’s manual, yet when packed they come unidentified in bags.
This 3400-watt generator with an electrical start features dual fuel thus giving you the freedom to use either propane or gasoline to run its 192cc engine. Super quiet at 59dB, the Champion Power Equipment 100263 can run for up to 7.5 hours on gasoline and 14.5 hours on propane. You have the option to increase your output by load sharing with the optional parallel kit by Champion that has a 50-amp RV ready outlet. A simple to use Quick Touch panel gives you access to all the controls in one area. This generator is equipped with Cold Start technology to beat the weather when it is chilly for a quick start. With less than 3% THD for clean power, you can charge all your vulnerable devices like laptops and phones without worry.
Made for safety with a low oil shut off feature, the Champion generator has a 0.6 quart oil capacity. At 25% load, gasoline produces 3100 running watts and 3400 peak watts that can run the engine for 7.5 hours, while propane produces 2790 running watts and 3060 peak watts and can run for 14.5 hours. The generator has a smart Economy mode that can reduce the electrical load for quieter operation.
The Champion Power Equipment 100263 features a foldaway handle and a wheel kit with never-flat tires for easy transportation. The EPA certified and CARB compliant generator is backed by a 3-year warranty. Read more user reviews at Amazon.
- 192cc engine
- Electric Start with 3-Position Ignition Switch
- Propane hose with a built-in regulator
- 2790 running watts and 3060 peak watts on propane (14.5 hours)
- 3100 running watts and 3400 peak watts gasoline (7.5 hours)
- 20 pound propane tank, 1.6 gallon gasoline tank
- Cold Start technology
- Low oil shut off feature
- Never flat tires and foldaway handle
- EPA certified and CARB compliant
- 3 year warranty
- No assembly is required.
- Optional parallel kit to aid in an increased connection by connecting two inverters
- Runs for extended time – 14.5 hours on propane and 7.5 hours on gasoline
- Plug and play start with Electrical start with a battery and cold start technology to start the generator when it is cold.
- Quick touch panel for easy management of all controls in one spot
- Quiet operation at only 59dB
- Clean and stable power for vulnerable devices
- Might have heating problems
- It is advertised at 97lbs while it actually weights 110lbs with an empty tank
- Lacks fuel gauge unlike its counterparts in the market today
Duromax XP13000EH is a 13,000-watt dual fuel portable generator that provides the ultimate power in this list. It can easily power a home with its heavy-duty 500cc OHV engine. On gasoline, the generator produces 10500 watts of running power with a peak of 13,000 watts thus perfectly capable of powering major household appliances, lights, and central A/C systems.
The power panel has a push button start and wide range of outlets for compatibility with applications. The generator has a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallon and can run for 8.5 hours at half load. It is moderately noisy at 74dB. This generator is CARB and EPA certified. Read more user reviews at Amazon.
- 10500 watts
- 240 volts
- 500cc 2-stroke OHV engine
- Push start button
- Built-In Fuel Gauge
- Overload Protection
- Automatic Low Oil Shut-Off
- Features A Spark Arrestor
- CARB and EPA certified
- Powerful 500 cc engine
- Heavy duty generator that can power an entire home
- You can choose the fuel you desire with ease using its Dual Fuel technology
- It is CARB and EPA certified
- A wide range of outlets for maximum compatibility with your applications
- The wheels cannot hold the weight of the generator in storage. You would be better off replacing them with pneumatic tires
- Has no load indicator
- Weighs 234 pounds and has no features to facilitate transportation
- With a 12% THD, this generator is not suitable for sensitive electronic devices
6. DuroMax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Powered Portable Generator
This open frame dual fuel generator is yet another wonderful propane generator you should consider from Duromax. This unit can handle heavy loads at its capacity with 4400 starting watts and 3500 running watts. A powerful 210cc OHV engine provides 7 horsepower to handle heavy loads and high voltage appliances. Its dual fuel technology gives you peace of mind and freedom of choice with options between gasoline and propane. Boasting MX2 technology, you can use both the 240V and 120V receptacles simultaneously for maximum power. A fully featured power panel grants you a wide range of outlets for various applications. These include one 20V/240V 30A twist lock outlet, two 120V 20A 3 prong outlets and one 12 VDC outlet. This hybrid generator also comes with voltmeter and a 12V DC port to charge external batteries. The Duromax XP4400EH is compact and durable. It comes with a wheel kit that eases bring the generator to camping trips, worksites, during use in an RV and when just moving it from one place to another. You can run this generator for 20 hours at half load, which is great, as you will not need to refuel frequently. The unit has an electric start and backup EZ pull recoil making it easy to crank up the engine. You also get a battery for the electric start. To avoid a noisy operation, the Duromax generator features a super quiet muffler.
** Key features **
- 4400 starting watts, 3500 running watts
- Dual fuel
- 210cc OHV engine
- MX2 technology
- Fully featured power panel
- Low oil sensor
** Pros **
- Plenty of power to run basic home appliances including lights and the generator
- Dual fuel giving you the freedom of choice between gas and propane
- A heavy-duty 210cc OHV engine which supplies 7 horsepower matching the generator’s wattage to provide a stable source of power
- MX2 technology allows you to use either of the 120-volt receptacles. This makes it ideal for RV use
- It features a quiet muffler to keep noise at a minimum
- Different outlets give you maximum power options for various applications
- The generator has a low-oil shut off feature to shut off the unit automatically when oil levels are low preventing damage
- Easy to move and store with its wheel kit and flip up stow away handles
** Cons **
- Quality of AC is not good, as it has a high total harmonic distortion thus not suitable for sensitive electronics
- Poor assembly instructions
7. WEN DF475T Dual Fuel Portable Generator
The Wen 4750 is a versatile dual fuel generator that allows you the freedom to create power from two different sources. It is easy to select and even switch to whichever fuel you want to use, either gas or propane. Propane starts at 4350 watts and runs at 3500 while gasoline starts at 4750 and runs at 3800. It is easy to start this unit, without the hassles of a pull start, as it comes with an easy to use electric start. Running a powerful 224cc air-cooled OHV engine, this powerful machine can run up to 3600RPM to provide all your power needs with ease. The generator features a packed panel with several AC outlets to power various devices. You also get a voltage selector to choose between 240V and 120V depending on the task you want to perform. To make it easy to transport the generator, it comes equipped with never-flat tires and a space-saving fold down handles. The EPA and CARB-compliant generator can fill up 4 gallons of gasoline, which runs for 11 hours at 50% load. It is compact, easy to store and durable for all kinds of jobs.
** Key features **
- Electric start
- 4 gallon fuel tank
- 47 inch LPG hose
- 224 cc air-cooled OHV engine
- Never flat wheels and handles
- Automatic voltage
- Overload protection and regulator
- Propane 4350 surge watts/3500 running watts
- Gasoline 4750 surge watts/3800 running watts
- EPA and CARB compliant
** Pros **
- Easy to switch between the fuels
- Voltage can easily go from 120V to 240V thus ideal for emergency backup and transfer switches
- Powerful 224cc OHV engine that is air-cooled and easy to start with the turn of a key
- Has an overload protector and regulator for safety
- 4-gallon tank capacity that runs for 11 hours at half load ideal for usage for an extended time
- Comes with a 47-inch LPG connection
- Product is backed by a 2-year warranty
** Cons **
- It can be a little noisy
- It is hard to pull to start the generator
Faqs About Dual Fuel Generators
What are the benefits of dual fuel generators?
The fact that these can use two types of fuel makes them stand out as you can choose the fuel type available to you. Propane and gasoline have their benefits and cons too. While propane is cheaper and stores easier, gasoline provides more electrical output.
In areas with varying weather patterns or seasons, one would be better off with a dual fuel generator. Propane is a better choice in hot temperatures while gasoline burns better in freezing temperatures. This can also be said for areas prone to natural disasters as this could restrict accessibility to certain fuel sources.
Having the choice between the two fuels definitely gives you flexibility to keep your generator running for a longer period of time as you can switch one fuel type to another when one runs low. You cannot store gasoline in large amounts as it poses a fire risk and regulations restrict to no more than 25 gallons per home.
Is it cheaper to run a generator on gas or propane?
Gasoline provides more power than propane but propane is cheaper and nearly impossible to spill. It also burns cleaner thus less wear on the engine. You can save money by investing in propane gas when you can.
How long will a dual fuel generator run on propane?
The fuel source does not provide runtime but rather fuel tank capacity and fuel efficiency of the generator does. Typically, an average generator will run on 8 to 10 hours on propane.
Can you use a dual fuel generator indoors?
Generators provide toxic fumes, which are dangerous when inhaled. You cannot run a dual fuel generator indoors. Set up your generator in a sheltered location to power your appliances through an extension cord.
Is bi-fuel and dual-fuel the same?
No, these terms cannot be used interchangeably. A bi-fuel engine in a generator will use different types of fuel interchangeably, switching between the fuel that is most efficient at the time. A dual fuel generator uses two fuel sources, but never at the same time.
What are the factors to consider when purchasing a dual fuel generator?
When purchasing a dual fuel generator, of paramount importance is what features are a must-have. High power output is often priority for most. Usually the peak output power for most generators ranges from 1,000 to 12,000 watts. Often sellers will have the input on gasoline rather than propane because the output on propane is usually less.
Fuel capacity and runtime
Most dual fuel generators have a gasoline tank that ranges from 2 gallon to 10 gallons. Typically, the bigger the tanks, the longer the runtime.
If noise is a concern, then consider purchasing a quieter model. Most dual fuel generators produce between 50 and 90dB with many ranging between 65 and 75dB. A generator will be louder when on gasoline rather than propane so stick to propane if you want to keep the noise down.
If you will be transporting your generator, then consider getting a lightweight and compact model. Having a handle and wheel kits make larger models easier to transport.
Without power, most homes cannot function optimally. Summers can get unbearable without a fan and food stored in fridges and freezers start to thaw or rot if the power outage goes for long.
With the aid of a dual fuel generator, you can have backup power in your home with either propane or gasoline to keep your appliances running when the power is out. In addition, ideal for camping and tailgating, a proper dual fuel generator will provide power for overnight use.